Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Someone's Name

I wrote once about how I prefer to go by Tom over Thomas and Tommy. I recently found out that a friend I had known for over a year prefers Jeffrey over Jeff. I had been calling him Jeff since I met him. I sort of feel like a jerk. He probably introduced himself as Jeffrey and I, trying to be casual, just called him Jeff. Why is it a natural reaction for people just to shorten others names? I don't really think this is unique to me. I think most people try to make it more casual and shorten the name without thinking that the person might prefer the longer name. While doing this to make it more casual, the person who likes the longer name just gets bothered. I don't know anyone who actually gets upset about it, Jeffrey certainly doesn't, but he has admitted it does bother him. I imagine he isn't the only one this happens to.

I guess I just need to pay more attention to what people call themselves and respect there preference. It isn't much harder to say Jeffrey than it is to say Jeff, and if it means more to him, than I'm all for it.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you - names are very important to people. Seems to be a lesson we all learn at 1 point

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very picky about my name too. Only my family can use anything other than Andrew. It really ticks me off when I answer the phone at work, introduce myself as Andrew and the customer calls me "Andy." What? Am I 5?!

    ReplyDelete