Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Organization

My nickname is Sporty. As you may know, it is because, out of all my family members, I am probably the most knowledgeable about sport and I definitely am the one who enjoys sports the most. I love to watch and play most sports. That being said, while I love Hockey and the NHL and enjoy football and the NFL, I can't stand the NBA or MLB. I do enjoy playing both of them, though I am a much bigger fan of the other two sports, it's just those leagues don't intrigue me. I don't really care to watch MLB regularly or the NBA at all.
I started thinking about this the other day, and started to realize why I would rather play a sport over watching it. I feel that there is a lot of 'heart' and passion missing in the leagues. When I go out to play with my friends, I am going to play the sport to have fun, not for a paycheck or because it's, 'What I do'. I know any professional athlete, from someone playing in the Premier League to someone playing Aussie Rules Football, would tell you stories of their passion or the 'heart' they have for the game they play. But, honestly, I have a hard time believing it. There is something about going out there with friends, not knowing when you'll get a chance to play a sport again and that you're just going out to have fun with, hopefully, friends who are, hopefully, are the same skill level. To me, for a professional athlete to have the same passion for a sport as I or many 'Average Joes' do just doesn't make sense to me. I am not saying most Average Joes have more passion that most athletes, but I do think that the most passionate fans have more passion than the average athletes.
This got me thinking, randomly, about other organizations, specifically the Church. I look at sport leagues and the church in somewhat the same way. I do not see a way that a church can have as much passion as a group of people just meeting to talk about their beliefs and help teach each other. I really think that is the idea that churches are supposed to be built on, but, when you look around at churches, how many do you see that are actually that way? I see way too many churches that have implemented rules on themselves of how to act or how to study the Bible. The organic growth of people spirituality doesn't seem to be apparent anywhere that I have seen. I don't want anyone to be under the impression that I believe I can 'judge' where everyone spiritual levels are. It seems that most churches are almost a 'Christian Factory', they put you through the same things wherever you go and teach some of the same basic things everywhere. When people just meet in groups together and let the conversation evolve organically, you get a chance to let people grow in the way they specifically need to. No two people grow physically in the same way, why do churches seem to think that they grow spiritually at the same rate or level?

I don't know. Maybe this doesn't make much sense to anyone but me, and maybe it won't even make sense to me tomorrow. It's just my current thought. Hope you enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. you are definitely a small church, small group type of person. But truly. most people do better in small groups, so you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete