Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What's in a Name?

Last night, a friend and I were texting each other for a bit. For some reason, the name Tommy came up and she started telling me that she was going to call me that from now on. It got me thinking about all my different names, mostly just the variations I use of 'Thomas', and the meanings behind each one.

Thomas - Used when I need to be formal. If I am applying for a job, I refer to myself as Thomas. Also used whenever I have to deal with legal authority figure like a judge or police officer. I don't go by Thomas very often, nor do I think of myself as Thomas.

Tom - Used when I am introducing myself to most people. I feel this is the casual version of my name. I think of myself more as 'Tom' than 'Thomas' mostly cause that is what I am called 95% of the time.

Tommy - Used only by a select group of people. I don't like someone who has called me Tom to switch to Tommy, it feels weird. I do think its an immature verison of Thomas. I almost think it has gone too casual. That being said, there are a select group of people who call me Tommy that I don't mind. I think its cause they have always called me that. This group includes my sister, mother, aunt, and, for some strange reason, Corrie Hayes. They all seem to fit into a group until that last one.

Also, in my Spanish class, we have been learning about verb conjugations. Tomar, to take, in the 'you' form is Tomas. Deber, to should, in the 'I' form is Debo.

My name in Spanish, Tomas Debo, means something like 'You take, I should'. Interesante.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! What about your other name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was more focused on my 'Given' or 'Birth' name. Maybe next one will be the 'New' name. Or as you might say, 'Correct' name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both the blog and the comments are quite interesting. And you did get me thinking: I think of you as either Thomas or Tommy, but rarely as Tom. Though Sporty does fit perfectly, it is still not what I think of 1st. I can work on that

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bit on conjugating your name in Spanish. Muy interesante! ;-)

    ReplyDelete