Thursday, January 28, 2010

Make My Day

There are somethings that just make my day. I don't always know when I'll experience one of these things, but when they unexpectedly happen, the day just seems to be better. Here are the things that recently happened to me.

I enjoy writing, but most of the time, if I don't have any direction for my writing, I'll quickly get bored with it. This is why writing short restaurant reviews seem to work very well for me. I recently work a review for a restaurant called Fez on the site Yelp, which is where I do most of my reviews. I just really did this to do a little writing and let people know what my experience with the restaurant was. The next day I found I had two new friends following my reviews! One of the guys I actually know but didn't know he was on the site. The other is a complete (at least to my knowledge) stranger, who also left a comment saying that she enjoyed my reviews. Just thinking that a things that I just did for my own enjoyment was also enjoyed by others so much so that they are looking forward to reading more of my thoughts. I don't really think the writing was that outstanding but others at least seem to find it enjoyable.

Since I started school again, I have been trying to make friends in class. It isn't really that hard. I find that if I just talk to anyone in class, they find it intriguing enough to have a conversation with me, since most people don't really try to connect with classmates. I now know at least someone in each of my classes and have talked to most of those people outside of class. One of them recently told me that she actually was really glad I talked to her cause she thought I have a nice smile. This took me back a bit because if there is one thing I don't really like about myself, it my teeth and smile. I know it sounds silly but I know my teeth have weird stains on them and, I feel, don't line up perfectly. I know that I had opportunities to get this taken care of before and didn't take them, and it honestly doesn't bother me that much. I just really found it surprising that my smile is something someone would like. I think after I was told that, I had the smile stuck on my face the rest of the day. Don't get ahead of yourself, dear reader! She was just paying me a compliment, nothing more. Even knowing this, it still made my day.

I don't think in either case it was the things themselves that made my day, it was more the fact that they were unexpected. I wasn't writing a review for other people to tell me how much they enjoyed it, nor was I smiling for someone to tell me they like my smile. Both of them I just did for my own gratification and it happened to be enjoyed by others. So much so that they thought to mention it.

Life's good.

1 comment:

  1. Would it be presumptuous to think I was one of the people you were telling not to get ahead of myself???

    ReplyDelete