Friday, June 26, 2009

French or Spanish?

I have been thinking that I should try and learn another language. Of the many different ones there are, the two I am considering are French and Spanish. I keep on finding reasons to learn both. I know people who know one or the other but I don't think I know anyone who can do both. People on both sides tell me the one they learned is better than the other but I am always trying to take that with a grain of salt. The other problem I have is trying to find a program to learn from. As most of you know, I am not "in the money", not that I am poor, I just don't "make it rain", so I am having trouble finding a good program to learn from that is in my price range (which, if its free, is in my price range.) If I get a program, stick with it, and it goes well, I am probably going to try and learn both and more, but well see how it goes, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I think Spanish might be more useful cause I live in Arizona. (I know not currently, but soon enough I will be back.) Lots of people down there speak it. I hear it is one of the most popular languages in the world. French, on the other hand, I spoken in Quebec, and being a big hockey fan might find that more useful, if just so I could then watch the games on the French stations and know what was being said.

I think this decision will be made like many decisions I make. I am going with French because a pretty female friend told me I should. (Don't worry, I don't really make decisions like that. I usually just flip a coin.)

3 comments:

  1. I have heard a lot of good reviews for Rosetta stone materials. Do you have access to a public library? Maybe you can find something there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for a computer program. I think I have a better chance to use and learn from it if I can see the words and hear them pronounced. I have been looking at the Rosetta Stone software but it is VERY expensive. Though I am looking at getting my hands on a copy to try. We shall see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though you hear a lot that french is the "language of love" it's not really that great. I've heard it, and I don't really like it. Spanish is definitely a better choice.

    ReplyDelete