Saturday, June 27, 2009

Scheduling

So today was.......long. At the Siren office I work at, there are three office staff. Kelly, who does scheduling, Marissa, who takes care of the reps paperwork, and me, who takes care of the inventory and the techs' paperwork. The jobs, when everyone is doing there job correctly, aren't bad. They all have their own moments that make you want to pull your hair out but, really, not too many of them.

When this office opened, I was doing both the scheduling and inventory. The day for an inventory manager started at 8am looking over techs paperwork and pulling inventory for them. The day for a scheduler ends at 10pm when all the reps stop knocking doors and come home. This made for some very long days. When Kelly started here about three weeks ago, I was very excited to not have to be doing that again. Alas, today I was back in the office doing scheduling for five hours. The thing was she went to New Jersey for a family reunion. I really don't mind if I was paid hourly to cover someone and get paid more. I am not hourly, I get paid salary. So Marissa and I have been doing her job and not getting any extra pay. Normally, if she had offered me money, I would have refused it. But when I did ask if she was thinking of giving us money, she almost seemed shocked that I asked. What, I am supposed to do 1/3 of your job (cause we had to schedule both Friday and Saturday) and NOT get paid extra for it? Not really cool. I just think if I had to go anywhere, I would either make sure everything was done before I left (which she can't really do) or pay someone a little to do my job. If neither of those worked, I probably just wouldn't leave, feeling that I had a job to do. But I guess that is just me.

Maybe I wouldn't be so bothered if doing the scheduler's job didn't mean I was sitting in the office for 5 hours with about 40 minute of actual work. I sat here for more than 3 hours before I actually got a call to dispatch. Guess its just been a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment