Sunday, June 14, 2009

Thinking About My Reading

I have started reading for enjoyment again. I used to read all the time when I was younger, but during those teen years I just didn't enjoy books too much. I think what stirred this desire to start reading again was the iPhone. Many times, when I am bored, I pull out my phone and open up the Classics app and start reading. Now I am not to advertise for the iPhone or the Classics app, I actually have a few issues with both. (More issues with the Classics app than the iPhone.) I was thinking, while reading Dracula in Classics app, how different it would be to read many of these stories if I didn't know what was going to happen. How different it must have been to read these stories when they were first written over years later.

I have realized that sometimes, the thing that keeps me reading some of these stories is the fact that I know what's coming. In Frankenstein by Mary Shelly, I knew that Dr. Frankenstein was going to create a monster and that horrors that would follow. In The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, Dantes gets thrown into prison for a crime he didn't commit and I knew this was going to happen before I actually read it. Even though these books at some parts seemed a bit boring to read, I knew some of what was going to happen next. I could try to make a big deal about this and ask, 'Am I one of those people who always needs to know what is going to come next?' 'Do I always need to know what is going to happen before I try?' but I really don't care. I enjoyed both of those books and will read them again sometime. I just wonder if these books would have pulled me in as much if I didn't know the over view of the story. Would I have kept reading Robinson Crusoe after reading all those chapters just talking about Crusoe making his house? How long would I have read about Captain Nemo and Pierre Aronnax talk for chapters about all the fish they saw in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? I almost believe the knowleadge of the story in these books tainted my view of these books. Know the plot of the story and the fact that these stories are Classics are most of the reason I read these books. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have read these great tales, but what if I went into these stories without know anything about it? Were they well enough written to make me want to finish these stories or did I just finish them because they are classics and great stories?

Reading the classics sometimes is even a bit sad. I feel that I am spoiled while reading the book. With Dracula by Bram Stoker, I know that Count Dracula is a vampire. (Sorry if I ruined the story for you) Even before reading the book, I have a good idea what is going to go on in the book. I am not trying to say I knew everything that happened in this book, or anyone that I have read. All I am trying to say is that, with these classics, some of the mystery is gone. Some of the suspense that was in it for the first person who read it isn't there for me, and that is a bit sad.

I guess you can find the really good writers by finding if the book still gets its point across. Do Dracula and Frankenstein still scare you even though you know what is going to happen? Are you pulled into Robinson Crusoe's job of survival? Does Dantes betrayal make you upset and cause you to keep reading to find out how or if he ever gets his revenge? To me, that is how I tell a classic I would read again apart from the rest of them. Not to say that a classic isn't good if I wouldn't read it again, it's just not my taste.

I guess it's all about the adventure. If you get pulled in and enjoy what you're reading, what more should a book try and be?

No comments:

Post a Comment