Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hockey Season Started!

It actually started a week or two ago but last Saturday was the first home game for the local NHL team, the Phoenix Coyotes. I was pretty excited so I picked up a pair of tickets and was planning on invited a friend who I used to work with at my last job. Sadly, prior commitments kept us from being able to go together. Thinking, 'Who would I really like to go see a hockey game with?', I send my friend Brad a text, asking if he would like to come along. He asks what time the game is and I reply 7pm on Saturday, the usual time for games. I wake up Saturday morning and remember (thanks to Facebook) that its Brad's birthday. It all seemed to work out, I could say that the ticket was a gift, if he didn't buy it, I would offer to pay for parking (which is free at the arena). I even told him that since it was his birthday, the Coyotes were giving away free t-shirts, which they were, in celebration of the first home game of the season. It ends up taking a little while longer than I thought it would to get over to the stadium. We end up parking at about 7:15pm. I keep saying, 'We probably only missed the singing of the national anthem.' While walking in, I check the score on my iPhone and notice the Columbus Blue Jackets, the visiting team, was already wining 1-0. 'Alright!', I think, 'This should be an exciting game if one of the teams already scored this early into the game.' We enter the stadium and don't get handed the advertised shirt. Excited, and not really thinking about the shirt, I lead the way to our seats and we sit down and enjoy the game.
The game was tons of fun with the Blue Jackets holding the 1-0 lead for the whole game. About the time I am expecting the final intermission to start, I notice the Coyotes pulled their goalie. 'Odd', I think, 'There must be a penalty that I didn't notice.' The Blue Jackets get the put and no whistle is blown. Must not be a penalty. I look up at the score board and notice that under where it says 'PERIOD' it has the number '3'. Walking out, wondering why it was only a 2 period game, I check the tickets. The game started at 6, not 7. Yeah, a bit bummed out about that.
At least Brad and I had a good time. (Well, I did and I think Brad did.) After that we went out and got some burgers from Red Robin. (He had a coupon for a free burger because it was his birthday) It was a really good time, always is when hanging with a good friend. The hockey didn't hurt either.

Just remember, always check the time on your ticket BEFORE the event and not just when its over.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you had a good time through it all. I have to admit that I have done the same thing with the time, though not for a hockey game.

    ReplyDelete