Wednesday, March 31, 2010

SXSW

SXSW is a giant music festival that happens yearly in Austin, TX. If it were most anywhere else in the US, I would consider going sometime. Alas, my dislike of TX has kept me away. This hasn't stopped me from listening to a lot of the music. Someone puts a torrent up online of a song by a lot of the artists that played at the festival, and for the past two years, I've downloaded it and listened through it. These aren't little files of a few songs. There normally range around 800 songs, and I may be guessing low on that. Anyways, it took me almost all year last year to get through it, rating what I liked and deleting what I didn't. As soon as I finish, I add the new one. Its tough to want to do this again cause last year, I only kept 1/5 of the songs. Why would I want to go through 800 songs to find 160 that I actually keep, maybe 20 of those that I REALLY enjoy? I guess it is those few gems I find that keep me coming back. Even though I hear a lot of songs that I can't stand at all, there are those that I listen to over and over and occasionally go on to find other music by that artist cause I liked a song so much. I guess it's like a lot of things in life, you have to put the work in and shift through everything to find the things that are worth it.

1 comment:

  1. You come from a long line of people who do that! Dad has tons of songs on his computer and ipod, but really only likes 1/3 to 1/2 of them. so, now you know you come by it naturally

    ReplyDelete