Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Think About Your Problem

Last week or so, I was walking with a classmate out of our Anthropology class. We had both just given short presentations on some assigned anthropology words. I hadn't been excited about mine at all, but she had been terribly excited to give the presentation since she got it. While walking out of class she complained about how it seemed that her topic made everyone uncomfortable. Her phrase was 'Gender roles' and she had shown a video from YouTube. Even I found it to be an uncomfortable presentation. I don't really want to share what it was about, but the word Taboo was in the title of the video. I pointed this out to her and how you can't expect people to be comfortable around stuff like that, there is a reason its called taboo. She agreed but just went on complaining and bringing in the stares she gets for some of her reading choices. Again, for most people, the subject matter that she is reading is taboo. I can't believe someone would understand this and still complain.

If you want people's approval, then you have to conform. If you don't want to, then you have to not give a care what other people think! To me, this isn't a difficult idea.

1 comment:

  1. It is never good to try to find logic in what is basically, illogical thinking! Though I still continue to try!

    ReplyDelete